Wednesday, March 2, 2011

review: Buy Buy Baby.

The name totally turned me off at first.  I have enough trouble tooting the horn of big corporate chains... but to be so upfront about the fact that they're cramming commerce down your throat is disgusting.   It's as if they're whispering "buy more... you need more stuff... you'll only be a good mom if you buy this stupid gadget your baby doesn't really need..." upon entrance.  So I avoided the place until...



My Mom, Felix, and I were on our way to a different corporate chain (that I somehow end up frequenting), Target.  Besides Babies R Us, they're the only place I can find the big pack Huggies Pure & Natural - which is what we use when Felix isn't in his cloth diapers.  We knew Felix needed a diaper change and as we parked the car, my mom suggested we go in to Buy Buy Baby to change him... it's right next door and she figured they'd have a nicer changing table than Target.  She figured right.

Not only did Buy Buy Baby have a nicer changing table in the restroom, it also had a separate room for nursing moms.  The room was amazing.  It was dimly lit, painted in soft neutrals with cute mural wall decals, and housed too very comfortable gliding rockers - which were a splurge I never allowed myself to register for.  There also was a beautiful, sturdy wood changing table dresser - stocked with wipes.  A few toys, I assume for older children, also were neatly arranged on the newly carpeted floor.  It was peaceful, private, and pleasant... those of you who have breastfed in public surely know that is a rarity.  Not only did I change Felix, I gave him a good feeding there too.

The thoughtful amenity prompted me to try out the rest of the store...  or maybe it was the brainwashing "buy... buy..."  Anyway, I left happy with my purchases - which included:

- The big ol' pack of diapers I was looking for, at exactly the same price as Target.

- This giraffe that makes womb sounds... which Felix is a sucker for.

- This killer Star Wars T, which is really more a present for Terry than Felix... I couldn't resist.  I bought one for Felix and one for his buddy, Owen.

I will probably return to Buy Buy Baby when we purchase Felix's next car seat (which will probably be sooner than expected, at his growth rate).  Their selection was major.

Pricing seemed comparable to everywhere else... and (after leaving, of course) I found out that they take Bed, Bath, & Beyond coupons - which is awesome, because I almost get more of them than I do credit card offers.

NOW, so I don't feel totally guilty for touting the praises of corporate America.  Go to this place too instead:

The Bees Knees
302 Warren Street
Hudson, NY

I can't promise you'll spend less, but you're supporting the little guy and chances are your baby won't show up at the party wearing the exact same outfit as all the other babies... tres embarrasing!  Great for gifts and they offer baby classes too (like post-natal Pilates).

2 comments:

  1. Just an FYI about the diapers... if you register on Amazon.com as an "amazon mom" and set up regular delivery of items such as diapers, you get 15% off. i.e. the diapers you use, you can get 142 diapers for $38.79 (not including the additional discount!)

    I've found them to be, hands down, the cheapest rate to go. The only issue is that you have to remember to keep an alarm to remind you the delivery is going out to check your babes size heiney. If it's gone up, make sure you update his size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy, buy, the way... Babies R Us has the same nice changing/nursing room. Although, BBBaby is a tad bit nicer. :)

    ReplyDelete