Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tonight, "I have a dream."

Shepard Fairey - my favorite contemporary artist -
created this poster in reaction to the
California Proposition 8.  
A few weeks ago, I posted a link to this story on my facebook with the following status update:

"If Felix wants to paint his toenails pink, my only objection will be if he wants to use Wet n' Wild - that stuff chips too easy!"

Today, I read an installment from another favorite blog, FridayPuppy.com.  FridayPuppy is spear headed by my friend Matt and also includes entries written by his entourage.  If you know my friend Matt, you understand that he truly is fabulous enough to qualify for an entourage.  He's handsome, generous (he just was named the Leukemia Lymphoma Man of the Year thanks to his serious fundraising efforts), successful and (*sigh, single ladies*) gay.  His newest blogger, Craig from London, is also gay (and, as far as I can tell, also fabulous).  He wrote a post about how he recently explained his sexuality to his beloved nieces... and it struck a similar chord as the story I linked to above.

Obviously, transgender/cross-dressing/etc. have no real relation to homosexuality.  However, due to societal norms they are often forced to hide out in neighboring closets.  My reaction to both blog pieces is that I hope Felix's generation become more and more understanding of our differences, learning to accept one another on the grit that really counts - not on the color of their skin, what sex they are, who they want to marry, or what toenail polish the choose.

The end.  Goodnight.





No comments:

Post a Comment