Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Independence Day, Ya' Loon!

For twenty years now, my family and I have visited a magical place in the Adirondacks called Fernloch.  Our dear friends, The Roe Family, have so graciously shared this space with us and made it feel like a second home.  This weekend, I brought Felix to Fernloch for the first time.  It was so amazing to have Felix in a place that has built so many wonderful memories.  Caroga Lake was where I first waterskied, where my Mom and I spent girls weekends weaving baskets, where my Dad danced to Delbert McClinton while drinking Cactus Juice, where I shoveled snow off of a make shift ice rink, where Eden broke his leg, where I picked blueberries in to a coffee can, where I partied with my girlfriends during my hen weekend, and now - where Felix rode on a boat for the first time and we saved a loon.


Did you know loons mate for life and share nesting duties?
Think about how much those two facts are really connected... hmmm.
This is a momma loon and her baby.  I did not take this picture,
but I have equally amazing shots on the way.  Stay tuned.

UPDATE:  More pictures and the story of the loon are now on my facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment