Monday, February 7, 2011

Adventures in Babywearing, A Product Review

In my constant efforts as a mildly "off beat mama" I've come across this term three thousand times:  BABYWEARING.  It sounds far more serious than it really is... which is basically slinging your kid in some sort of wrap/backpack/papoose and hanging out.   Ok, so babywearing is a bit more intense than just using the kind of carrier my Dad used to haul me around Disney circa 1984 - but I just can't get used to idea that I am wearing my baby.  It makes Felix sound like an accessory... like Paris Hilton's chihuahah.  Or Nicole Richie's sunglasses.  Or Renee Zelweggers "Either-I-just-ate-a-lemon-or-I'm-a-complete-bitch-face."

Anyway... I DO like the principles of babywearing... it's another great way to bond with your baby while continuing to maintain some sort of daily activity.  However, it took a few attempts before I could get it right.


My first attempt was with a simple sling like contraption like this one.  It was AWFUL!  Mind you, my kid is meatball... heavy and round.  He was stuffed in to this sling worse than my post partum muffin top in a pair of size 2's (which, let'
s be honest, I haven't worn since 9th grade).  He looked SO uncomfortable... but then again, the kid on the package looks uncomfortable so I don't know
what I was expecting. 

Next, I tried on a friend's Moby wrap.  I'll give this one a solid B-.  It was very comfortable for both me and baby (I think, he really doesn't explain himself very well at two months).  However, it took practice to take on and off... and certainly wasn't something you could just slip in to.  It's like the origami of babywearing.   By the time I did all the fold and ties, the kid would be driving a car. 

mia-with-baby-ikhyd-baby-sling-carrierThen I thought about just using one of the backpack style carriers I had received at my baby shower.  I do really like it and I fully plan on using it when Felix is slightly older.  It just seems a little outdoorsy to me... not very cozy.  Perfect for a music festival or nature walk.  Not so perfect for folding laundry or making cookies (as my rockstar mama friend, Annie, did while babywearing the other day).  

After hours of researching and googling, I started oogling this too expensive brand name Mei Tai wrap.  Mei Tai styles, like the one seen at the top of this post, are wraps - no buckles - so they are soft and padded, comfortable for baby and babywearer alike.  However, the ties are easier than the twisting and shaping of the Moby.  They are super durable so they can handle a chunky load.  Annnnd, let's face it, they're super cute.  I mean, if I'm going to call it babyWEARING, I'm not going to ignore the fact that I DO want to look kind of cute while doing it... like celebrity mom / world music goddess MIA (to the right)... except that she looks like a jerk here because, yes, you look effortlessly cool... but how about some effort in tying your kid the right way so he doesn't fall out?  I still love her though. 

I ended up purchasing an Infantino brand, Ecosash style, Mei Tai for $40 at Marshall's (the one in the pic at the top).  So far, so freakin' fantastic... the kid fell asleep in it twice today.  And I think that tomorrow I'm giving it the ultimate test... mama's makin' some cookies!

UPDATE:
Here's a picture of me and Felix, all mei tai'd up.  Get it.  Mei Tai'd... like mei tied up.  Wow.  That's really, really awful. 

3 comments:

  1. I can remember the exact same sentiment when I was faced with the babywearing dilemma - which one???

    I ended up with the becco butterfly carrier, soft shell, infant through toddler, while the hubby preferred the baby bjorn.

    I would have liked the maya wrap but for some reason I was petrified of the tie it yourself. I think in those early days of mamahood my brain could only handle one thing at a time, and let's be honest, that was nursing. Non stop.

    Love your new blog carly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Nola, I had a Bjorn. I give that a solid C. She was being smothered in my cleavage. Tight to put on, difficult to adjust the straps... but then some people love them.

    So, with Maya, I asked family for the Moby. I love it! The tying does take some practice. And it's much easier to use now that she is older and can hold her head up on her own. I'd give it an A-.

    That's my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nursing. Non stop. Dead on, Christy.

    ReplyDelete