Monday, February 14, 2011

un-swooned.

So... the man and I had a slight change in plans for our Valentine's Day reservation.  Sort of bummed, but it'll still be a really nice time...



Being the smart think-ahead-er that I am, I checked out Swoon's website today to peep their menu... only to find that the ONLY menu available tonight is a $70/person 5-course meal (not including wine pairings, of course).   This doesn't work for us because:

A.)  That would've been $140 pre-wine, which would've set us back at least an additional $40 if we decided to go with a bottle (which we would have).  So we're looking at a $180 total bill.  Add a tip and we're over the $200 mark.  Now, I must say, Terry and I would've been using a substantial gift certificate towards this (thank you, Nat & Meeg)... but it's the principal.  We're on a pizza and beer budget here, people... I can't justify that kind of spendiness.  I'd rather use our gift certificate on a night when it'll spread a little thinner.  Do I sound cheap or frugal?  Or are they really the same thing?

B.)  A 5-course meal is a nice idea if there isn't a screaming newborn at home (which, when I'm away from him, I assume he's screaming).  Terry and I are lucky to catch a few minutes together between diaper changes, we're not asking for a three-hour-tour of culinary delight... just a really good meal with really good wine.  Wam, bam, thank you ma'am... or should I say grand-ma'am (aka tonight's babysitter).

C.)  I'm a closet picky eater.  I appreciate good food.  I even appreciate adventurous food.  But that doesn't mean I wanna chow down on quail egg and duck liver pate.  While working at New World Bistro Bar (shout out to NWBB fam), I became fond of a little something called porkbelly (ohmygoditissogood).  That's about as adventurous as I get, and as it turns out - porkbelly is a lot like bacon/chinese spare ribs... you see where this is going?  I'm sure some of you foodies out there would think the Swoon Valentine's menu is genius... but it would've made me feel like I was at my first keg party, barely sipping and saying "yum, I love the taste of shitty light beer beef tartar."

Instead, the hubby and I are going to a local favorite... La Conca D'Oro... I'll probably order the same thing I always get, and we'll order the same bottle of wine we have for the past 6 and a half years.  We'll go say hi to our favorite bartender, Sean, and then drive the 2.5 minutes it'll take us to get back to our screaming beautiful baby boy.  Sounds like a perfect Valentine's Day dinner if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment