Tuesday, February 22, 2011

you say it's your birthday.



I turned 28 yesterday.  To be honest, the first few hours of my birthday were beyond awful.  Felix was screaming as hard as he possibly could muster, knees to chest, reeling from horrible gas pains in his tiny buddha belly.  By 4 am, it was all I could handle.  I was trying to keep my cool, knowing that he can feel my energy and my upset will only lead to more of his... but tears were pouring uncontrollably from my tired eyes.  I felt so helpless.  Most of Felix's crying is done with eyes tightly clenched, but every now and then he would open his eyes as if to plead "please, mama, make my belly better."  It broke my heart.  Terry, as an unspoken birthday gift, did all the midnight changes - he swept him away, knowing my angst, and eventually Felix calmed down enough to sleep for a good few hours. 

The rest of my actual birthday was a bit brighter.  Terry stayed home from work so we could spend the day together.  We had planned on attempting to take Felix to lunch with us, but after the rough night we were both a bit afraid of him.  So we ordered some takeout and took a really long drive through Columbia and Dutchess County instead - Felix napped while we toured the riverside and backroads, fresh with newly fallen snow.  We saw a bald eagle (I think) and some really cool white horses, beautiful clashing with the snow.

Today was a whole new ball game.  More on that later. 

P.S.  Have you heard Carmelo Anthony was traded to the Knicks?  Yeah, I don't really care either... but my husband has asked me that question at least 18 times today and I thought I should talk about something more than my kid for once.

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! It may not have been the birthday that you initially planned, but it sounds lovely anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! I'm glad you found some peace on your day.

    ReplyDelete